A few years ago I bought a well used Look KG56 frameset with beautiful bonded composite tubing and lots of paint chips. I decide not to go for a 100% original ‘look’. Instead, I rebuilt it with chronologically correct Mavic components, slightly younger Mavic Cosmic wheels, all black Modolo brake levers and crazy red and blue details. Conclusion: I built it the way Look would have wanted it to be featured in the original catalogue.
The restoration process:
After sourcing the right Mavic and Modolo components, the bracket was chamfered to fit the 610URD sealed bracket in order to fit a 172,5 mm Mavic Starfish crankset. From here on it was ‘business as usual’. We really love the result, the colour combination looks stunning and it is a pleasure to drive!
- Frameset: Look KG56 ‘Generation 4’
- Size: 59ct
- Bottom bracket: Mavic 610URD
- Crankset: Mavic 631 ‘starfish’ 172,5mm
- Front derailleur: Mavic 860
- Rear derailleur: Mavic 841
- Downtube shifters: Mavic 821
- Headset: Mavic 305
- Stem: Mavic 350
- Handlebar: Mavic 351
- Handlebar tape: Bike ribbon red and blue
- Brake levers: Modolo
- Brake calipers: Mavic made by Modolo
- Seatpost: Suntour Superbe Pro
- Saddle: Look (made by Selle San Marco)
- Pedals: Mavic 646 by Look (missing in the pictures)
It took a few years to find the perfect red Look saddle to finish the build of this nineties bicycle. The final result is stunning! One of our fans loved the result this much that we were commissioned to build him a nearly similar version too. How cool is that!?